What ID do I need to upload?

ACIC requires you to provide four documents from 3 categories, as below:

  • ONE Commencement of ID Document
  • ONE Primary Use in the Community Document
  • TWO Secondary Use in the Community Documents.

In all instances, the combination of identity documents must contain at minimum your full name, date of birth and a photograph. If you have provided identity documents using a former name, such as a maiden name, you must provide evidence of the name change in addition to the four identity documents.

The nature of the documents in each of the categories is summarised below:

Commencement of ID:

  • full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
  • current Australian passport (not expired) (P)
  • Australian visa current at time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist
  • ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services (P)
  • certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
  • document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or persons who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes (P)
  • certificate of evidence of resident status.

Primary Use in Community Document

  • current Australian driver’s licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed (P)
  • Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)
  • current passport issued by a country other than Australia with a valid entry stamp or visa (P)
  • current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo
  • current shooters or firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence) (P)
  • for persons under 18 years of age with no other Primary Use in Community Documents, a current student identification card with a signature or photo (P).

Secondary Use in Community Document

  • certificate of identity issued by DFAT
  • document of identity issued by DFAT (P)
  • convention travel document secondary (United Nations) issued by DFAT (P)
  • foreign government issued documents - for example, driver’s licence (P)
  • Medicare card
  • enrolment with the Australian Electoral Commission
  • security guard or crowd control photo licence (P)
  • evidence of right to an Australian government benefit - Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs (P)
  • consular photo identity card issued by DFAT (P)
  • photo identity card issued to an officer by a police force (P)
  • photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force (P)
  • photo identity card issued by the Australian Government or a state or territory government (P)
  • Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) (P)
  • Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC) (P)
  • credit reference check
  • Australian tertiary student photo identity document (P)
  • Australian secondary student photo identity document (P)
  • certified academic transcript from an Australian university
  • trusted referees report
  • bank card
  • credit card

ACIC has also advised that expired identity documents will no longer be acceptable.