How long does it take to get my Equifax credit report?
Once you have requested a copy of your free Equifax credit report or a Your Credit and Identity subscription you will receive your credit report within one business day, provided we are able to verify your identity.
How do I cancel my Equifax Your Credit and Identity subscription?
We are sorry you want to leave us! If you would like to cancel your annual subscription you can do so in one of two ways:
Please call us on 13 8332 (select option 2).
Go to https://www.equifax.com.au/contact. Complete the personal Contact us form, selecting 'Cancel my personal Equifax subscription plan' in the 'I would like to...' menu. Your subscription will be cancelled within one business day and confirmation sent to you by email.
What should I do to protect me and my family from ID theft?
If you shop online or share your information on social media it is a good idea to take steps to help protect your personal information. We’ve got a great checklist, called ‘PROTECT' that you can follow to help protect yourself and your family from identity theft.
- Reduce the risk of postal fraud by installing a secure mailbox.
- Arrange for your mail to be held at the post office whenever you go away. If you are moving house, arrange for your mail to be forwarded and let companies such as banks, credit card and utility companies know your new address.
- After you've read important documents and no longer need them, shred them before throwing them out.
- Check your bank accounts each month and investigate any suspicious activity, such as small payments to unknown companies or people.
- Don’t reveal passwords and personal identification information online, such as your birth date, full name, mother's maiden name or your phone number.
- If you use social media sites like Facebook, make sure your privacy and security settings are updated so only ‘friends’ can access your page.
- Regularly check your credit file and register for Equifax’s Credit Alert service, which notifies you when certain changes are made to your credit file.
- Consider an Equifax ID Basic or Premium subscription which includes our cyber monitoring feature, Identity Watch. If your personal information is found to be compromised online you will be alerted.
- Shred paperwork containing personal information or account details, including bank and credit card statements, phone and energy bills.
- Always use secure sites when paying for purchases or transferring money online.
- Install security software and keep it updated to protect your computer from hackers, scammers and viruses.
- Never open any attachments from unreliable sources, or unusual messages or files from people you don’t know.
Immediately inform your credit providers if you notice any suspicious activity in your financial accounts.
How will I receive an alert?
Via email. We will never put your personal details in the email – it will just be an alert asking you to quickly log in and see what is going on. And then we can work together on ways to stop your identity being compromised any further.
How often will I receive cyber monitoring (Identity Watch) alerts?
Beyond our welcome email – you will only receive a cyber monitoring alert if your data is being compromised (read: found being traded illegally in online forums). We don’t know when crooks will be acting. That’s why we watch everything all the time.
Can I pay to monitor more items as part of my Identity Watch service?
Yep. If you are on the Gold plan (which covers 15 items) you can upgrade to the Platinum plan to get up to 26 items covered.
How often do my details get monitored as part of the Identity Watch feature?
With Identity Watch, available in an Equifax ID Basic or Premium annual subscription, your details are monitored 24/7. That means now. And now. And now … get the picture? If any information is found to be compromised we will send an alert straight away.
How long does it take once I have entered my details for them to be monitored?
Once you have registered the personal information you would like monitored by Identity Watch, available with an Equifax ID Basic or Premium subscription, it takes 12–24 hours for us to carry out the initial scan. We’ll send you an email after the first scan is done and let you know what we found.
Does my bank get notified if I get an Identity Watch alert?
No. Only you will receive an email alert. You then have to log on to your portal – see what’s happening – and start planning your next steps.
Identity Watch is available with an Equifax ID Basic or Premium subscription.
How do I restore my identity with Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance?
Equifax’s Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance* supports you if you’ve become a victim of identity fraud. This is feature is available with an Equifax Premium subscription. It’ll help you with the cost of restoring your identity and reduce the impact and risk associated with loss and theft. It may also help minimise the stress and grief of restoring your identity and regaining control over your finances.
It also provides you with much-needed funds while you get back on your feet – reducing the impact and risk associated with loss and theft.
Click here to read our Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance Policy Information Booklet.
*Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance is underwritten by AIG Australia Limited (ABN 93 004 727 753)(AFSL 381686). When eligible, Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance may provide you with up to AUD$15,000 per annum for out-of-pocket expenses in relation to restoring your identity. Terms and conditions apply. Please refer to Your Credit and Identity Guard Insurance Policy Information Booklet.